Friday, 11 February 2022

11th February 2022 - Purina Cat Food - is it really as Good As It Looks? - updated

I joined a facebook group the other week as there seems to be some concern over the safety of Purina cat food, who make Felix.  There are over 28,000 members, I wonder how many of them are medically qualified vets? 

this is the link for anyone interested in joining - Cats Recently Affected By Felix Food

https://www.facebook.com/groups/250384740220868/ 


Surely if there was a problem, wouldn't Felix cat food have been recalled? This is a link to a petition by the Facebook group. 

https://www.change.org/p/purina-recall-felix-as-good-as-it-looks 


UPDATE - cat food that was recalled in 2021 - 

https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-advice/pet-food-recall 


and this is the link from the Purina website - their response

https://www.purina.co.uk/brands/felix/the-facts-about-felix 

Purina say they haven't changed any ingredients in the food yet, there are slight differences in the ingredients below, I written old and new on the boxes, the food is Tasty Shreds, the new box was bought the other week and the old one I found at the back of the cupboard while sorting out any out of date food.



UPDATE - info from 2021 - cat food has NOT been proven to 

https://vethelpdirect.com/vetblog/2021/09/21/cat-food-has-not-been-proven-to-be-the-cause-of-pancytopenia-so-what-is-happening-to-our-cats/ 


Our two cats are 14 this year and have been fed mostly felix cat food and felix treats as well as sheba and encore, I've just started introducing whiskas 7+ again because whiskas used to give them diarrhoea so I stopped feeding it but I wouldn't dream of starting up a facebook group and telling people what they should or should not feed their cats.  Someone threw away 200 pouches, not everyone can afford to do that!

Suddenly changing cats food overnight rather than a phased change over weeks, wouldn't that cause vomiting and diarrhoea?

At the end of the day, you go by YOUR cats behaviour and look for any changes in their health and any problems you contact a vet, who is actually qualified to give advice.

Jo 


No comments:

Post a Comment