Monday, 29 August 2016

Sewing with a purpose - part 2

Hubby has been working over the bank holiday so I thought I'd make a start on cutting out my first bag for the Sew Powerful Purse Project

I've used two fat quarters for the main fabric, some lovely batik cotton fabrics and plain cream for the linings



I made a start on the front flap pocket, it is a complicated pattern to follow and I got stuck on the front pocket, so I had my dinner and had a break for a few hours, then went back to it and realised there were four pieces needed, piece #4 was still in my cut out fabric pile!


anyway yesterday afternoon, I made the front flap pocket, front inside pocket, stitched the gusset and front and back bag pieces and cut out the strap ready for finishing today

I cut out the lining and finished stitching the strap and I've finished my first cross body purse for the Sew Powerful Purse Project and here are some pictures.






the bag has turned out better than I expected, the only mistake I made was trimming off the excess at the side of the front pleated pocket flap and I've ended stitching the flap to the sides! oops

But I've already started cutting out some fabrics for bag no 2.

I don't mind making bags to be gifted as I know they will be appreciated by the girls who receive them. 

I've counted this as a finish for One Project A Month

I make bags for the Sew Powerful Purse Project, I follow their facebook page and updates on their website and then I'm reminded why I'm making the bags...it's about making a difference to them, not making a profit for me.

But if you are interested then you can find out more about the Sew Powerful Purse Project on their website - 
http://sewpowerful.org/sew-powerful-purse-program-overview/ 

Hope you had a good weekend, whatever you did

Jo x 





No comments:

Post a Comment